1937 Cord 812 Solidworks Model
Increasing my master part modelling skills in Solidworks, I completed this 1:19 scale model of a 1937 Cord 812 convertible. Adding some custom design features of my own, this model can be 3D printed at 250mm long, and was a lot of fun to render in Keyshot.
This is a Solidworks Model of a 1937 Cord 812 convertible- with a few custom design features of my own! I pursued making this model as the exhaust tubes which run from the main body to the front wheel flares are what initially drew me to this car.
It was a challenge for me as I endeavoured to create this for 3D printing at roughly a 1:19 scale, making the Solidworks model at 250mm in length.
It was created as a multi-bodied part file, testing out my skills using the 'master-modelling' technique as described by Solidworks. It involves modelling each different component of the model as a separate body within a single part file, and then exporting the bodies into their own 'stock body' part files, for further use in drawings or in an assembly. It meant any changes to the master part file would update the stock body part files, in turn updating the drawing or assembly files in which they may be used, as well as the dependant features. I found it useful as it ensured the components would fit together when 3D printed, but it also has some drawbacks depending on the power of the computer I would be utilising to model with due to the large complex single part file.
It helped to increase my skills using surface modelling tools, as well as the features in Solidworks which are used when dealing with multiple solid bodies, in order to achieve more detailed and complex features in the model.
Once the components had been exported into their own stock body part files, I applied appearances in Solidworks to separate individual faces which I aimed to render using different material options in Keyshot. I then assembled the stock body part files which allowed me to set the vehicle up in multiple positions for rendering. I used .STEP AP214 files to render with in Keyhshot, as it allowed me to save multiple assembly setups without the need to re-import the single assembly file each time a position of the components was changed.
For these particular renders, I experimented more with darker scenes and also creating my own environments in Keyshot. Some renders are slightly grainy, but overall I learnt a lot from this experimentation. Keyshot can be quite an in depth program and I'm excited to continue my learning process and building my rendering skills with it.
It also helped me a lot to improve my Keyshot workflow; allowing for the material application process to be completed once for the first imported .STEP file, and then make material links to the other .STEP files in the one Keyshot scene. This makes for quick queue processing of renders, in conjunction with setting up multiple camera positions and several environment setups.
Overall I was very happy with the end result, as it was a unique car to model and render. Although there could still be more work completed on the model, I have now moved onto to other Solidworks model challenges for myself which should be featured on my page soon.